Sunday, October 28, 2012

Second Life...

Source: http://www.gamer.ru/second-life/obschee-opisanie-igry


I was familiar with the SL games since my childhood. They were very interesting but I was not among the kids who were addicted to these games and it indeed became their second lives.
When I heard from my professor that SL can be applied in an EFL and gerenally in any class, I was impressed. I thought “what an interesting and creative way to organize classes”.  As Cynthia M Calongne mentions in her article with SL you can organize a lesson in a beach or in a forest. Another advantage of a SL can be the fact that SL games are a “mix of media-rich course materials”. The students that have missed a class can go back and learn the content they missed. Exams are places where the students have to give solutions to problems. (http://moodle.aua.am/file.php/28/Course_Materials/Virtual_World_/VirtualWorlds_Calogne_2008.pdf).
However, in spite of all the above mentioned advantages, I don’t think they can be used in an Amrneian EFL classroom successfully. Firstly, this not  a very safe space(http://moodle.aua.am/file.php/28/Course_Materials/Virtual_World_/VirtualWorlds_InterviewWelch_2008.pdf). When teacher assigns homework he/she should be sure that the content is appropriate to the students’ age and is safe. In the SL it is not safe in a way that the students can go beyond the assigned material and see different avatars doing inappropriate things. Secondly, I don’t like this second life thing at all. If we have our existing life, why do we need to go beyond and find a second life. Yes, I agree, sometime it is very fun to imagine that you are a different person, living in a totally different place, however I think that this may make our students to be afraid of the obstacles they meet in their own lives. I mean they may think “if you don’t like your real life make a second life!”.  But I don’t think this is a good idea. We have to make our students to be creative in a way, were they have to think about solutions to the life that they have. In our real life situations, we can make our classes fun and creative why should we think about making a fool life and engaging our students to pretend as if they are different people.  Technology is providing us different interesting tools which can be applied in the classroom without forgetting our real lives, were we can connect and reflect on our real lives (Like blogging for example). I like those tools more…
These SL games are fun games; the students will probably play them even without our assignments, so I don’t think that exposing them to these games even in the classroom is a good idea. Eventually they will live only in their second lives forgetting about their real ones…

No comments:

Post a Comment